Any Progress on an N64 Module?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I know the team has already stated that they are unsure if the N64 is legal yet but is anyone actually looking into it?

A few of the forum goers, myself included, have been trying to help with this but no info we post ever gets a reply from the staff so I’m starting to wonder if there actually are plans for an N64 Module at all.

Profile photo of POLYMEGA
    POLYMEGA
    Admin

There are still plans for an N64 module, but we’re not going to be discussing it until later down the line once we’ve already released the system and the first set of modules, which is our priority for now.

Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

I’ll get this module too. ^_^

So you’ve confirmed that it’s legal?

If the preorder campaign still gives you a choice of one cartridge module with the base unit, will we be able to choose the N64 module and then just have it sent when it’s done?

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    16-bit

I wouldn’t get my hopes up on that. It sounds to me like they’re only focusing on the system and the NES, SNES, and Genesis modules. I also think it will be a while for an N64 module to come out.

From what I’ve read about the N64 patents and how patents work, I think we have another two years of waiting. I’m basing this on what I think is the final patent Nintendo filed for the N64. It’s publication number US6454652 B2. It was filed on July 26, 2001 and was granted on Sept 24, 2002. It was a continuation for their original patent which was filed on November 22, 1995.

My current understanding is that a patent is valid for either 20 years after the initial filing or 17 years after it was granted, whichever is longer. If we have to wait 17 years from the time it was granted, the patents for the N64 should all be expired on September 24, 2019.

I could be way off base with this, but that’s the best understanding I’m able to come up with. In the meantime, I would imagine it would be legal for POLYMEGA to develop the N64 module so it’s ready when the patents are all expired.

Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

Sounds like the research I did already..  http://polymega.com/forums/topic/n64/

Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

I took a look at US6454652 ( http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=23&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=6454652&OS=6454652&RS=6454652 ) and the filing date comes WELL after any ability to cover the original Nintendo 64 and even after the ability to cover the GameCube:  N64 was announced at the August 1993 Shoshinkai trade show and the GameCube was announced in May 1999, US patent applications can only come at the very latest 1 year after first announcement.  Judging by the language of the specifications, it DOES describe the N64 and the diagrams go very in-depth describing (and flowcharting) Super Mario 64, it describes a cartridge-based home console well after they decided to go disc-based for home.

It makes an interesting read if you can get past the bland lawyerspeak descriptions of a console, but it isn’t the main basis of coverage for the N64.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.