Anyone Know the Pre-Order Release Date Yet?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by 4 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    16-bit

Hey!!

Anyone know the pre-order date? I’m following this page don’t think I’ve seen it yet??

Thanks

Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

It hasn’t been announced yet.

Profile photo of Mark
    Mark
    16-bit

Polymega have only said “on target for 2018 release”, although I can’t remember which thread it was in….

In the FAQ or news they note that before the pre-order goes live they are going to be giving more info on hybrid emulation and the technology used. I don’t know if that is still in the works or not.

Profile photo of doppelganger
    doppelganger
    16-bit

If you want to keep an eye on what the Polymega team are saying across all the threads, you can see all their posts by clicking on their account or icon or here: http://polymega.com/members/admin/

Profile photo of Matt Manous
    Matt Manous
    16-bit

The official FAQ states that they plan to do the preorder campaign in the fall. However there are only a few more weeks of fall left. Maybe someone from the Polymega team can confirm that the FAQ is still accurate?

Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    16-bit

I’ve been in touch with them and been told the target release date is US late summer / early fall next year! So still a fair bit more waiting to do!! But it will be so worth it!!

OK, so I’ve spoken to the Polymega team on Facebook earlier today. They said they are very busy with the project, but they will make some announcements in the first quarter of the new year (including further explanation of the Hybrid Emulation feature). They are still planning an official release within the late summer/early fall time-frame. Hang in there, folks!

I read somewhere that the poly mega pre order date was later that fall I read that at the end of November. It is now winter any body knows what is going on?

Profile photo of POLYMEGA
    POLYMEGA
    Admin

We were originally shooting for the fall but pushed it out to next year.

Couple of important things to remember –

1. Polymega does not use open source for anything except Linux. That means we’re investing serious time into building our own platform and technology. The upshot of this is that players will have a real alternative to open source based retro gaming, which basically does not exist right now.  That’s not to say that open source is bad or wrong, it just currently has almost no counter-point, which we believe to be important for the overall health of the retro game industry and moving things forward.
    2. We’re creating important new tech for classic games, and despite it being a slightly slower path to market – we’re doing it the right way. Hybrid Emulation is not marketing speak. We’ve spent years on this and have been iterating and refining Hybrid to make it as good as it can possibly be for the launch of Polymega.
    3. Encapsulating the last two points, we are not a crowdfunded company where extreme transparency is necessary, and further, we’ve already seen some imitators run with our ideas, packaged in open source code – hence our more recent secrecy. We don’t want to show anything else until we are just around the corner from pre-order launch to limit this type of behavior from others.
    4. We have an extreme level of confidence in what we’re building, so we’re not worried about competition from other new consoles or projects that are announced, even if they start raising money publicly or taking pre-orders before we do.

“Encapsulating the last two points, we are not a crowdfunded company where extreme transparency is necessary, and further, we’ve already seen some imitators run with our ideas, packaged in open source code – hence our more recent secrecy. We don’t want to show anything else until we are just around the corner from pre-order launch to limit this type of behavior from others.”

OK – blame Seedi for lack of updates. 🙂

I’m glad to see this posted (although I saw basically the same thing on twitter) – I’d rather have a machine that works perfectly and delivers on all promises and wait. The games I’ll be playing on it are old enough that the extra time (whatever it is) isn’t that big an issue.

Other than the Veruca Salt “I want it now!” feeling.

Profile photo of POLYMEGA
    POLYMEGA
    Admin

No one team or company is the culprit. We’ve seen stuff all over the world that looks eerily familiar.

Fair enough, I was just trying to make a bad joke.

I work at a media store that carries retro consoles in our video game section – I’ve been talking up the Polymega to management, hoping I can convince them to carry it. One wants to buy it for himself after I gushed about it.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by .
    Profile photo of Craig
    Craig
    16-bit

Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear that there is still more work being etoget it right.  Can’t wait to see some more official looks and footage of the software and hardware.

Any idea what quater of 2018 you’ll be releasing the console.  I understand you are trying to get everything just right before release, and that takes time, but I started playing games with my oldest son.  We’re playing on emulators on my computer, but I want to play with real controllers and with real cartidges.  You’re console would be perfect for us because i would rather not have to buy a ton of consoles, but if it’s not coming out until Q4 of 2018 i might have to do that.  It’d be nice to know if i should wait a bit longer or just not.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.