Ataribox

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

I’ve been following the Ataribox on Twitter for a while and decided to check out their website again today.  Now, it says:

“Connect, Game, Stream Like Never Before
    Killer Retro Games. Hot New Indie Titles. Open Linux OS.
    Connect & Stream even more.”

This is starting to sound like the Seedi minus the CD drive. >.>

It’s a Linux based set too box basically.

They advertised that you can just run it in a desktop mode and just use Steam so it’s basically another Steam Machine….and we all remember how well that venture worked

Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

Everything old is new again.  The official name of the Ataribox is…. the Atari Video Computer System.  Yes, the original name for the 2600.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/19/atari-unveils-atari-vcs-its-first-home-game-console-in-9-years/

Profile photo of Adam Shaw
    Adam Shaw
    16-bit

The new Atari VCS does not look like it will play old cartridges.  There is no cartridge slot and while details are very vague, there has been no mention of this being a feature.  I think the old games may become available as digital downloads or something.  This is why I’m far more interested in the Atari module from Polymega than I am in the new Atari VCS but you never know, I may end up getting both.

Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

So, it was released for pre-order and sold over $2m worth in about 2 hours.  From the description in the IndieGoGo page, Atari Vault is included and they have their own Steam-like store.  Since this runs Linux, I’m sure you can get Steam itself and GOG Galaxy onto this to run your existing Linux-compatible games.  And since it runs Linux, you can bet emulator front-ends won’t be far behind.

We’ll just have to see next year when it actually ships.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.