HDD storage

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe Clark
    Joe Clark
    16-bit

I am curious if we’ll still be able to use a USB HDD for storing our backups or is it only going to be SD card slot. With the large file size of CD’s, I thought I’d ask. I thought originally it was mentioned but I don’t know if things have changed.

Profile photo of Scott Bloom
    Scott Bloom
    16-bit

Yeah, I’m curious about it as well. More for CD game dumping than anything.

Profile photo of Zack
    Zack
    16-bit

I asked this question when I met them at E3 and they told me it doesn’t support USB hard drives – only the SD card you can put into the system.

Scott Bloom
    16-bit

@zackr

Damn. Hopefully it will in the future. A 64GB Micro SD card should work for a while.

Joe Clark
    16-bit

That is going to really limit some of our collections.

Scott Bloom
    16-bit

@darklordsidius

Only with the CD-based games. If you have an 8GB Micro SD card, you can easily have the complete romsets for the cartridge-based games and still have room left.

Profile photo of Craig
    Craig
    16-bit

How big of a Micro SD card will work with the system?

Profile photo of Zack
    Zack
    16-bit

It’s SDXC, not microSD. It can work with the 512GB and the eventual 1TB whenever that comes out.

Also, it appears a couple of my posts were eaten, but considering you can get a 128GB SDXC for around $50-$60, that fits about 175 CD-based games. I don’t think 95% of the demographic for this system will have a problem with that much storage.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by .
    Scott Bloom
    16-bit

Take this with a grain of salt until something official, but I believe it supports Micro SDHC, and the largest one on the market is 400GB, so my guess is that it’ll support a Micro SDHC card as big as you can afford.

Profile photo of Zack
    Zack
    16-bit

I interviewed Bryan and he seemed to make it pretty clear it’s SDXC, not microSDXC.  https://www.rpgsite.net/interview/7350-polymega-interview-how-this-modular-console-may-change-the-way-we-enjoy-retro-gaming

Scott Bloom
    16-bit

That’s awesome, now I won’t have to worry about losing a card.

Joe Clark
    16-bit

Many of us have multiple consoles. Games for the PS1 can be huge, many RPG’s have multiple discs.

The external HDD would be a great solution because they are cheap but a 128GB+ SDXC cards are extremely expensive here in Canada. It is why I was hoping for the option of HDD.

I’m guessing that the Polymega is going to cost around $350 Canadian, $80 per module and about $80 for a decent 128GB SDXC card. That’s about $750 before taxes (if 4 modules are purchased), at 15% NB provincial sales tax, that comes to almost $863 CAD.

From a financial standpoint, the use of an external hard drive would be a good option since most people have a HDD already.

That’s where I was coming from, with my initial question.

Profile photo of Zack
    Zack
    16-bit

I would like to correct myself – it appears this will indeed use a micro SDXC, not your typical SDXC. I figured it was a bit odd they would go down that road, so I have updated my interview to reflect that.

Which is far better, because I’ve seen 128GB microSDXC cards for as little as $30.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by .
    Joe Clark
    16-bit

That’s a good deal better. The micro SDXC seem to be cheaper than the larger SDXC cards. I bought a 128GB card for my Nintendo switch for around $35US. That’s more comforting, thanks.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.