Is the controller design temporary?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of yamigata
    yamigata
    16-bit
    Profile photo of POLYMEGA
    POLYMEGA
    Admin

Gamesir is the manufacturer of our controller and it is similar to that model with various upgrades / improvements specifically for our system. In order to make sure we get the system out in time, we decided to not dedicate time and resources to building and manufacturing an entirely new controller for the launch of POLYMEGA, even though we do have a proprietary controller design that will likely be released at some point in the future (after launch).

Most people who have used the POLYMEGA / Gamesir controller have had nothing but very positive feedback in terms of response, d-pad, features and comfort / finish.

Thanks!

yamigata
    16-bit

That’s interesting info, thanks!

Profile photo of SegaFan16
    SegaFan16
    16-bit

@Polymega: “proprietary controller design”?

Could this possibly be a design like the sort of controller I’ve suggested in the past (I.e. 6 face buttons, four shoulders) and the just announced Hyperkin USB Xbox “Duke” controller (which adds left and right bumpers to the classic Duke design, giving it four shoulder buttons and six face buttons [albeit with non-standard button shape and angle for the face buttons, and a mixture of two drastically different button sizes for said face buttons])?

Because if this upcoming proprietary controller design has six face and four shoulder buttons, you’ll win me back as a potential customer (although it won’t happen until the propriety controller ships).

I have a couple GameSir controllers that I bought for playing RetroArch games on my PC. I must admit that I don’t care for them much. The d-pad sinks into the opening way too easily and using bluetooth is very laggy. I decided to connect them directly using USB which helped a little bit. I’m still buying Polymega though. I’m not going to be deterred over something as silly as nitpicking a controller.

yamigata
    16-bit

Yeah I’m still very interested, regardless of the included controller.

Regarding controllers, right now my main concern is that right now there don’t seem to be controller ports for the base unit. The base unit is my primary reason for wanting this thing, and I would want to be able to use a dualshock controller with it. I know there are USB adapters, and I’ll do that if I have to, but I’d prefer not to.

Were it my decision to make, I’d add dualshock controller ports to the base unit.

Profile photo of SegaFan16
    SegaFan16
    16-bit

No offense, but PlayStation controller ports on the base unit is mostly pointless, since the DS3 is pretty much the same exact controller as the DS1 & DS2, just wireless/USB and with analog triggers instead of digital buttons for L2/R2.

USB ports on the base unit make the most sense, since USB adapters for most controller ports already exist in one form or another. The only retro port that might make sense on the base unit is the DE-9, since it would support six of the Polymega’s supported consoles (Atari 2600, 7800, Master System [through a Power Base converter if nothing else], Genesis, Sega CD, and 32X), plus could theoretically be used to support numerous other retro consoles that the Polymega could add support for in the future (3DO and 5200 come to mind although the wiring for those two is different from the supported systems, intelligent detection/switching perhaps? Sega’s SG-1000, the MSX, FM Towns, and various 80’s gaming computers also utilized the DE-9 port). Really USB and DE-9 are the only ports that would make sense for a modular retro game console like the Polymega to have in the base unit. Everything else should be put on expansion blocks along with the appropriate game/memory card ports.

A better idea than built in PS1 controller ports in the base system would be a PlayStation module with PS1 controller and memory card (for importing old saves) ports. Ditto for Neo Geo CD, and any other CD based consoles they might add/announce support for in the future (see Saturn, 3DO, whatever else). Sega CD and Turno CD can use the Genesis and TG-16 modules respectively obviously.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by .

@SegaFan16
    I like that idea. I would much rather have modules for each non-cartridge CD system. Since they don’t do much other than relay retro controller data and, if we’re lucky, access memory cards, they could be much cheaper than the modules that take cartridges. I would easily buy one for PS1 and Neo Geo CD. Thankfully PC Engine and Sega CD are covered by their respective cartridge modules which are going to be must haves for me. I don’t remember because my Neo Geo CD died a long time ago. Did it take the same memory card that you can put in the AES or was it all internal save memory?

yamigata
    16-bit

As long as there is zero lag using wireless controller, then that’s fine. But if there is lag, then the ports would not be pointless.

Would it be cost-efficient to have individual optical drives for each disc-based system rather than a single disc reader for all of them?

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by .
    Profile photo of doppelganger
    doppelganger
    16-bit

Hey, do you have a pic or schematic of your “proprietary controller design”?

Will it have a keypad suitable for Coleco / Atari Jaguar etc ?

Profile photo of doppelganger
    doppelganger
    16-bit

Could the new ALL Controller be an option for the consoles that require keypad input?

(Not sure whether a link is allowed here, so just Google it).

yamigata
    16-bit

There is a picture of the controller on the front page of the main site.

Yeah, I really enjoyed my Sega CD games, and the 6 button (face) controller is really nice with a number of them. I would love a controller that is set up that way, Start, Select, d-pad, 2 analog, 6 face and 4 shoulder. If plugging  in the Genny module lets me use those controller ports with the CDs, that would work.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.