Light guns games

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Heys guys.  I noticed that interview you did recently that you said that light gun games would not work because the system is only HMDI?  Is HDMI incompatable with light guns even if plugged into a CRT screen?

Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

It likely has to do with the frame timing. Also, most monitors with HDMI input are LCD, which has no vertical blank for the guns to work with.

I have an HD Sony CRT tv that has HDMI input.  So I’m wondering if a light gun will work on it.

Profile photo of Arnold Chin
    Arnold Chin
    16-bit

I’d spotted that in writeups as well on the site. I actually had a ton of light guns for Saturn, PS1 and Dreamcast, and was hoping to dig all of those out. Thanks for explaining the technical reasons, I was afraid there was a content/ legal/ social reason they were holding back from that compatibility.

???  Any answer to my question Polymega

?

Profile photo of POLYMEGA
    POLYMEGA
    Admin

Hi David, we can’t commit to light guns working on any TVs for now. Thank you!

Profile photo of Cody W
    Cody W
    16-bit

I think if you guys include the ability to connect to a CRT tv it should enable the use of a light phaser correct? Please include this feature. Dont limit the capabilities.

Profile photo of POLYMEGA
    POLYMEGA
    Admin

Polymega supports HDMI out only, so no CRTs.

Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

The original GunCon and GunCon 2 controllers required CRTs, but the GunCon 3 connected via USB and used 2 LEDs attached to the screen to tell where you’re aiming.

(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GunCon )

Profile photo of Ben
    Ben
    16-bit

Hi guys here is an ideal I use a box that down scales your hdmi to component I can plug my PS4 retro pie and anything to my crt tv I got mine at Walmart for round 20 to 30 bucks that’s how I get around things now days hope this helps:) mite work with light gun like that never hurts to try will try  my lodge gun games on my crt with polymega when I get it.

Profile photo of rowie
    rowie
    16-bit

What about Aimtrak? Could that be supported?

Polymega,

There are CRT’s with HDMI input.  For example:

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-kd-34xbr960/review/

I happen to have the one i linked to above.  That’s why I asked if there’s any reason a lightgun game played through the polymega wouldn’t work on it.

Profile photo of Zack
    Zack
    16-bit

With all due respect, I don’t think they’d spend the money conceptualizing and implementing straight light gun support right now for something only a handful of people would benefit from. The ideal would be a solution that anyone can take advantage of.

But I don’t understand why it wouldn’t work if they say all the stuff that worked on the original consoles should work on the polymega.  I understand that lightguns wont work on non-crt tv’s, but i dont understand what reason there would be for it to not work on a crt.  Would the HMDI cable cause issues or something?

Profile photo of Zack
    Zack
    16-bit

It’s a problem with LED TVs versus CRT TVs. Since CRTs use line tracing to display a picture, it registers a light gun (the screen flashes for a tiny fraction of a second to do so). On the other hand, modern TVs don’t use line tracing, so light gun games just don’t work. This is why the Wii needed to use a light sensor bar, but unlike the Wii where every game supports the light sensor bar, Polymega would have to do the math to determine whether this type of investment is worth it for such a small number of games. After all, you not only have to consider the manufacturing cost, but the packing and shipping cost as well. Not saying they shouldn’t do it, but they have to weigh these things. Otherwise, the best they can do is emulate the light gun targeting sight.

And since LED TVs (for example) require more processing to display the higher-quality image, a measure of lag is introduced. That’s why it can be challenging to play old games on new TVs, especially ones requiring twitch reflexes.

To answer your question about why it won’t work, I believe even the Sony HD CRTs doesn’t work with light gun games due to the aforementioned refresh rate of the display itself. As far as I know, only very specific models support it, and that would be a pretty miniscule audience for Polymega to cater towards in the grand scheme. Otherwise, once again, you’ll need a light sensor bar.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by .
    • This reply was modified 1 week ago by .
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.