PC Engine Module

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I’ve always thought it strange the PC Engine couldn’t play PC games. If the Polymega team decides to release an additional module that plays PC games (if the base unit can’t do it) and they decide to name that module the PC Engine module I think that would go perfectly with my TG16 module. The FAQ says the TG16 module is region free, so it probably won’t need a Japanese HUcard slot.

(Bonus feature–the ability to play PC-FX games).

The turbografx 16 has a vibrant reproduction and homebrew scene. Who knows? Maybe they might decide to translate some of the better PC-FX games or even release/port a new Supergrafx game.

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by .
    Profile photo of BAXY Square
    BAXY Square
    16-bit

When you say PC games, are you referring to DOS games or something else?  I guessing one of the reasons the PC Engine branding was changed outside of Japan was to eliminate the confusion you’re referring to.

The PC-FX has a NEC V810 RISC CPU which would require custom CPU work (thanks again @wntermute).  But the fact that the system was CD-ROM based is a feather in the cap for prospective compatibility in the future.

Yeah, I meant DOS games.

The Seedi could play some DOS games, so I know it’s at least a possibility.

Something to remember – PC used to mean any personal computer – game machine, CBM/Pet personal computer, Apple etc. It wasn’t until IBM PCs and compatible machines took over the market that “PC” meant IBM PC.
    So the PC in PC Engine is “Personal computer engine” – it does not have anything to do with “IBM PC” which morphed into just “PC” years later. Saying that PC games should work on PC engine module is like saying the you should be able to play Sony games on an Xbox because they both are called “Game console”.

Given that – I would love a module with ports (instead of controller) that had keyboard and mouse to play old Dos games.

BAXY Square
    16-bit

@lordmhoram What kind of ports would you want on this hypothetical module that aren’t technically already part of the base system?  There are two USB-A ports on the front and the CD-ROM drive.  Would you want PS/2, serial and parallel?   Would you want Floppy Drives as well?

Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

MS-DOS is for a completely different set of processors.. 8088/8086/80286/80386/80486 and such.  It would probably be possible, but you’d need a virtual drive or external HD to hold the necessary installations.  Most DOS CD games required installation onto another drive to play and older titles would require a 5.25″ or 3.5″ drive for the system to even play/install them.

I don’t think it’s a stretch that a PC Engine should have been able to play some PC games, given the monitor. After all, when you break it all down, it is just a computer.

@BAXY – I was just wishing, I never thought it would be reasonable. 🙂
    I’d much rather have the stuff mentioned by them already.

Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

The PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16/TurboDuo’s CPU was a Hudson HuC6280, which is a 6502 variant.  So, maybe Apple ][, //e, or //c, Atari 2600,  5200, 8-bit, Commodore 64, Vic-20, Famicom/NES, but not DOS.

BAXY Square
    16-bit

@lordmhoram I know you’re just wishing… I’m honestly curious.  Let’s say you landed that dream job at Playmaji R&D and you’ve been tasked as the project manager for the DOS module, what would put in it?  Would you go minimal with a 3.5″ floppy and use the existing USB and CD-ROM drive to supplement, or would you go for broke and add make a towering module with a 5.25″ floppy and a full complement of ports?

I’d go with a 3.5, and existing ports – replace the normal “Controller ports” on a normal module with a couple more USB ports to run a USB keyboard and mouse – and allow instiallation of games from purchased files (not sure how to make that immune to piracy, and that would be a big issue) so if you bought a game on GOG for example, you could play it on the DOS module.
    Pipedream. And likely not workable, most people would want to play those games on thier computer.

BAXY Square
    16-bit

@wntermute has it nailed on the technical side of things.  There’s no way the original system could run DOS games.

I think using the “PC” branding was a marketing tactic by NEC to leverage the success of the Z-80 based PC-8800 series and x86 based PC-9800 series personal computers in the Japanese market.

Setting the marketing aside, the system is also known as the HE System or “Hudson Entertainment System.”  Hudson pitched it as a successor to the Famicom/NES but Nintendo wasn’t interested, so they partnered with NEC.

Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

For DOS:  I wouldn’t make it an Element Module.  All it really needs is storage and floppies, so ship a combo 5.25″/3.5″ drive with USB connector and leave the logistics to the user.

For PC-Engine:  We’re already getting this, in fact, according to what I read, this whole modular system started out as a PCE/TG16 emulation solution.

For PC-FX:  It runs off a RISC processor that hasn’t been used in any other system currently on their slate.  In fact, the only usage of it other than UNIX boxes I’ve found in a quick search was the Nintendo Virtual Boy.  As for peripherals, it had memory cards, a SCSI port, and a spot for 3D GPU hardware.  Given all this, support can probably be added to the system without the need of an Element Module.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.