Potential Modules

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

I was having a think about potential future modules, and came up with the following. I’d be curious to know if there are any issues which might prevent any of these coming out, and this thread might provide a good place for others to suggest more obscure systems for support.

1. N64 Module- Polymega have confirmed looking into this pending legal status.
    2. Game Boy/Colour/Advance/Virtual Boy- the first three could use the same slot, but support for the VB could prove difficult!
    3. Game Gear/Master System- I’ve read before that the GG/SMS essentially had the same hardware, so this might offer another double slot module.
    4. Atari 2600/5200/7800- Perhaps less of a priority, or even possibility, with the advent of Atari VCS.
    5. Neo Geo AES
    6. Intellivision/Colecovision- Possibly on the same module?
    7. Atari Jaguar
    8. Atari Lynx

Of course, a totally radical idea would be a Handheld Carts Module for the GB, GG and Lynx, but that would be a bit mad and probably hard to cram all the hardware in. ūüôā¬† I don’t personally care about the last four I’ve listed above, but I know they have their fans out there!

Profile photo of BAXY Square
    BAXY Square
    16-bit

I think the biggest issues we have with support is economic viability. Playmaji has a responsibility to its investors to maximize the return on investment. Hopefully, the profits made from the base system and top selling initial modules will be able to help pay for future modules and keep the business rolling.

There’s a self-proclaimed¬†long post¬†that is worth a read to get others takes on feasibility¬†of post-launch element modules.

Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

They have said that they wouldn’t cram multiple systems in one module.¬† That would leave out your Handheld Carts Module idea, the 5200 slot from the Atari 2600/7800 module, and the Intellivision/Colecovision combination module.¬† Not sure how they’ feel about multiple-slot modules on a whole, so even the Master System one could be just carts and not cards.. definitely not a third slot for GameGear, regardless of how similar the architecture is..they’re not even doing a combination NES/Famicom module.

BAXY Square
    16-bit

@wntermute Thanks for the clarification and thanks for the work on your long post.  Choosing to only one cartridge slot per module is likely a wise choice from both an engineering and a marketing perspective.  Hopefully it will serve to keep module costs affordable and provide optimal build quality we will all be happy with.

Yup, fair point on the multiple slot idea. The module boxes they’ve just shown off¬†look gorgeous, so if I need to have eight on my shelf, then so be it! ūüôā

GB/GBC/GBA would probably be one Modual as they all use the same basic slot. I just hope the GB/GBC games get the Super Nintendo boarders.

Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

That’s a good point.. SGB borders as an option for GameBoy/GB Color games that had them.. Maybe even the ability to play the hidden SNES version of Space Invaders on the GBC Space Invaders cart.

Yes, once we get word that the N64 patent has indeed expired, then there will most definitely be an N64 module. But, unfortunately, the idea of a GB/GBC/GBA module isn’t going to be a reality until the patents for these three consoles have expired, and at the very least, the GBA patent is still active and in effect.

As for the Game Gear/Master System module idea, no I don’t think that’s possible. Even if the MS and Game Gear had virtually the same hardware, the Game Gear was capable of showing off more colors than the MS and the Genesis and had a shorter screen resolution than the MS, hence why you couldn’t play Game Gear games on Genesis and Master System.

An Atari Jaguar module along with support for the Jaguar CD would be the things I definitely would love to have for the Polymega because the Jaguar consoles are very insanely priced, especially the CD unit, to this day.

Besides, I’d agree that one cartridge slot for each module sounds more wise than multiple slots in one module that’d result in a serious increase of manufacturing costs.

Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

Since we’re on the subject, maybe everyone would be helped by checking out my original research here:¬†http://polymega.com/forums/topic/post-launch-modules-long-post/

As for modules I’d want, I’d want any they could/would do.¬† I’ve been platform agnostic ever since I got an Intellivision II to go with my Atari 2600, liked them both equally.¬† And it’d be easier to swap out an Element Module than to swap out a full system.

BAXY Square
    16-bit

@wntermute I’m with you on the element modules.¬† I’m building a game room and it would be so much easier to roll out a Polymega setup that covers most systems, then hook up the remaining systems I frequently play from there.

The GB/GBC/GBA have been supported on Retron 5 and the RetroFeak so there is a possibility that the patents for the GBA were different than the N64. As for GameGear, Hyperlink has made an adapter that supports SG-1000, Master System, and Game Gear so it’s not out of the question. It’s just a matter of “Is there enough demand for GameGear?”

Profile photo of Joe Clark
    Joe Clark
    16-bit

I think after the release of Polymega, a popularity pole for future modules might work best.

For example, I would love Neo – Geo for my AES but not many people own AES because it’s super expensive to collect. I’ve owned my AES for 15 years and still only have 1 game.

Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

They’ve already said they’re going to make a Famicom module.¬† Given that the controllers were wired on the original, they’ll probably have to make the modern replacements with the microphone that was in the original’s P1 controller.¬† There was a second model, which I believe shared the controller port of the NES-101 “toploader” model.¬† Additionally, it might have the same 15-pin accessory connector.

They’ve also expressed interest in modules for a number of other systems, depending on demand.

Profile photo of yamigata
    yamigata
    16-bit

I would really love a GB/GBC/GBA module. I know they have said “At that point we might as well make a handheld” but no…. making a handheld doesn’t put it on my TV, doesn’t let me capture video with my El Gato, doesn’t let me stream directly from the device.

Take it as feedback: we do want a module for handheld consoles.

BAXY Square
    16-bit

If Playmaji wants to make a handheld, that would be interesting, but I agree with @yamigata in that I believe there is a potential market for both products. There are plenty of people that like to play portable games on a TV screen and I believe a GB/GBC/GBA element module would sell very well.  But if Playmaji wants to make a portable system (Polymicro, anyone?) there is market potential down the line for that product as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.