SegaCD, 32X & 32XCD

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by 1 year ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

I have the original Genesis, a 32X, and a version 2 SegaCD, but haven’t gotten to enjoy them because in order to get the proper sound, these systems required a convoluted combination of sound adapter cables to work.

Will the Polymega “just work” for 32X cartridges, SegaCD discs, and 32XCD discs as far as sound output (and gameplay, of course) is concerned?

Profile photo of doppelganger
    doppelganger
    16-bit

I’ve been wondering this too.

Profile photo of Arnold Chin
    Arnold Chin
    16-bit

I’d forgotten about some of the weirdo sound cable situations for the Genesis and its add-ons. I remember getting a bit w/ the SegaCD sound patch cord or whatever that was. Actually I’m hoping to check out some retro stores and possibly get some 32X games that are worth it, pending feedback on this module’s handling of this…

Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

The weird thing about the Genesis 1 itself was that only the headphone jack was stereo.. The RF and RGB video out ports only had mono. So if you wanted the best audio, you had to use a headphone cable to get it to wherever the audio was going. Then the 32X and SegaCD had their own audio with no means to pass-through on the cartridge or expansion ports, so you had to use Y adapters to combine all the audio.

From browsing through the installation FAQs on Gamefaqs.com, it appears the SegaCD worked around this by having you pipe the audio from the Genesis 1 or 2 into it then it outputs the combined audio to the TV or whatever.

The Genesis 2 had stereo audio output on the back since the headphone port was removed.

That’s one of the reasons the JVC X’Eye/Wondermega was so sought-after, significantly less cable clutter and expanded CD abilities with its CD+G karaoke function.

Profile photo of doppelganger
    doppelganger
    16-bit

I pulled my old big Megadrive (it was a pre-order, that old) and Master System Converter out of the loft yesterday (as I mentioned over in the Coleco forum) and it all works perfectly still after 20 years in hibernation. Including my home made lead that combines stereo from the headphone into RGB Scart. Yes it was an awkward set up. Looks great pulled to full screen on my Plasma. There are Retro stores that sell new ones ready made still though. Main thing is all my control pads are fine. I opened up my Penguin Land MS cartridge as I’d heard tales of battery leaks destroying the board – no leaks and what I think are some saves are still there….  The battery turns out to be a standard CR2032 so it’s cheap  and easy to replace these days if needed. Back then it was probably a big chunk of the cartridge price.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.