Supergrafx

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I’m not a technical person, but out of curiosity how does the Supergrafx’s specs compare to the SNES or Sega Genesis?

Profile photo of Scott Bloom
    Scott Bloom
    16-bit

I never had a TurboGrafx-16 or Turbo CD, but using PCEjin to play those games, I’d say it was superior to the Genesis and Super Nintendo, though I could be dead wrong. One game that I can think of that was on all three for you to compare, is Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes, which had SNES, Genesis and Turbo CD releases, among nearly a dozen other platforms.

Profile photo of Opcode
    Opcode
    16-bit

The SuperGrafx is essentially just a TurboGrafx-16 (PC Engine) with an extra graphics processor (two HuC6270s instead of one). This allows it to have two scrolling backgrounds instead of the single one that TurboGrafx-16 has. The sprite limit is also doubled from 16 to 32. Aside from that the only difference is that it has 32k of RAM vs the 8k of RAM in the TurboGrafx-16.

Both the SNES and the Genesis are slower than the SuperGrafx and the TurboGrafx-16 but have better graphics capabilities. The Sega Genesis VDP is still slightly superior to the dual HuC6270’s in the SuperGrafx but it has extremely fast DMA for large fast scrolling maps and quick replacement of background tiles. SNES is a slow console but it makes up for it by having a really good graphics system, not just up to 4 independently scrolling backgrounds but high color capability and of course mode 7. SuperGrafx and TurboGrafx-16 are no comparison.

I think of the SuperGrafx as a fast NES on steroids. Somewhere on the 75% mark between NES and SNES/Genesis.

Despite that, TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine and SuperGrafx are my favorite systems.

Profile photo of Craig
    Craig
    16-bit

Opcode is right.  It was way ahead of the NES, but could not compare to what was possible with the SNES.

However, the inclusion of Turbo functions in the controller and ability to play games with no slowdown made it one of my favorite systems as a kid.

If you look around, there are ports of NES games optimized to play on a TG-16 and the games run so much smoother on the TG-16.  I have a Mega Man 2 Hu-Card and there is no slowdown at all which is something the NES game suffers from on a few levels.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by .
    Profile photo of J Gall
    J Gall
    16-bit

There were only 7 games released for the SuperGrafx and the 7th, Darius Alpha, was a sweepstakes giveaway (kind of like Atlantis 2 for 2600).  What I’d like to know is if you can select which system to emulate for Darius Plus and Darius Alpha, since they worked on both the SuperGrafx and PC Engine (similar to the dual-format GameBoy Color cartridges that worked on the GameBoy).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.